An electrical distribution board is a crucial element of any electrical system. It distributes power to different circuits and devices throughout a building or facility. In this article, we will discuss the importance and functions of an electrical distribution board.
Importance of an Electrical Distribution Board
- The primary function of an electrical distribution board is to protect the electrical system and the devices connected to it from damage due to overcurrent or short-circuit.
- Without a distribution board, an electrical system would be dangerous and prone to electrical fires, equipment damage, and electrocution.
- A distribution board ensures that the electrical system is properly designed and installed and that all components work correctly and safely.
- A distribution board also manages the flow of electricity throughout a building or facility.
- It enables the power to be divided and distributed to different circuits and devices, providing a safe and efficient way to power the electrical equipment and devices in a building.
Functions of an Electrical Distribution Board
- Circuit Protection
One of the primary functions of an electrical distribution board is to provide circuit protection. A distribution board contains fuses, circuit breakers, or other protective devices that detect and interrupt overcurrent or short-circuit conditions.
Circuit protection devices can be manually or automatically reset. Manual reset devices, such as fuses or circuit breakers, require manual reset. However, Automatic reset can detect and reset itself after a short period.
- Power Distribution
Another function of an electrical distribution board is power distribution. A distribution board enables power to be divided and distributed to different circuits and devices.
The board is attached to a central power source, the utility grid, or an on-site generator.
The distribution board contains bus bars or wires that connect to circuit breakers or fuses. The board also has additional components, such as transformers, to step down or up the voltage as required by different devices or circuits.
- Monitoring and Control
A distribution board can also provide monitoring and control functions. Some modern distribution boards have electronic trip units that can provide detailed information about the current, voltage, and power consumption.
It detects and diagnoses problems, optimizes power usage, and improves system performance.
In addition, some distribution boards can get remotely monitored and controlled using software or mobile apps.
- Safety and Compliance
An electrical distribution board is also responsible for ensuring safety and compliance with electrical codes and regulations. The board must be appropriately designed, installed, and maintained to meet all safety requirements and standards.
In addition, the board must get tested regularly to ensure that it works correctly and that all protective devices operate as intended.
It helps prevent electrical fires, equipment damage, and other hazards from a malfunctioning electrical system.
An electrical distribution distributes power to different circuits and devices throughout a building. It protects against damage due to overcurrent or short circuits. A distribution board provides circuit protection, power distribution, monitoring and control, and safety and compliance functions.
It ensures that the electrical system is properly designed, installed, and maintained. Visit IndoAsian to know more!